|Sunday, September 22, 2013, 02:00pm - 05:00pm||by
||Hits : 356 |
|On September 22, 2013 the Court House on the square will celebrate its 135th Anniversary year hosting a Birthday Party Open House on Sunday from 2 pm to 5 pm. The building will be open to the public to come and enjoy a Sunday afternoon visit with friends and neighbors and view the beautiful Historic Court House built in 1878 and completed in 1928. For all those who love the Court House Square, this is a wonderful opportunity to spend some quality time viewing our National Landmark Building. Handicapped access is at the North ground level entry door.
Entertainment for the event is as follows:
• Astronaut and home town hero Colonel Jerry Ross, who currently lives in Texas with his wife Karen, will be here to sign books and visit with his old and new friends. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the Court House.
• A DVD of Jerry’s 7 missions into outer space will be presented on a large screen in the Court Room on the 3rd floor (elevator available).
• Nationally and Internationally recognized home town artist now residing with his wife Juliet in California, James Paul Brown, will have a benefit for the Court House with a silent Auction of selections of his work in the North wing of the Court House.
• History will be stressed and the Historic Museum will be open to visitors with President Bruce Woods on hand to answer questions. The 20th Company B Volunteer Infantry Re-enactors will be there to unveil a restored composite picture of the Civil War Veterans of the Colonel Wheeler Post.
• A collection of scrapbooks covering the last 35 years and before will be on display in the ballroom. See if you find yourself in the many clippings from the past.
• Historic impersonators will be roaming the corridors discussing the history of the area.
• A beautifully designed and created birthday cake by Nadine Beck Streicher, current owner of “Becks Bakery” in Crown Point, will be cut and served at 3:15 pm with punch and coffee.
• Choral music will be provided by the CPHS Choral Group ‘Bella Voce’ and Merrillville High School ‘Choral Teens’ and Jim Bielefeld will work his magic with the piano.
• The unique Court House Shops will be open. Take a step back in time at the Primitive Shop and select gifts from The Little Pink Shop or the Irish shop. Handmade furniture is offered at Simple Heart and a variety of children’s clothing at Geppetto’s. A wide array of gourmet items are available at Mescolare and don’t forget to take home a bag of chocolates from the Candy Store. Have your clock fixed or buy a new one at the Prime Time Clock Shop. Wedding photos and marketing tools can be had at Damaged Designs/Aaron photography or how about a cookie at Valentino’s. Speed Racer art at JPL and Stained Glass Menagerie round out the Court House Shops.
• Popular Photographer Edda Taylor will be in her studio to show you her outstanding photographs.
• There will be activities for children including a jumper house on the lawn and face painting in the lower level rotunda. Children will also enjoy being able to meet a real, live, astronaut.
This event is a first for the Court House and provides an occasion for a very pleasant Sunday afternoon made available by the following:
Lake Court House, Board of Directors
City of Crown Point, Mayor David Uran
Crown Point Community Foundation, Pat Huber, President
Sherriff’s House Foundation, John Heidbreder, President
Old Homestead Foundation, Jim Smith, President
Historic Museum, Bruce Woods, Director.
ADDATIONAL PARKING AVAILABLE AT WHEELER MIDDLE SCHOOL. USE WALNUT ST. OR HARRINGTON ST ENTRANCE.
Location : Old Lake Court House down town Crown Point.
Contact : Marty Wheeler 219-663-0660
|A Fun Filled Free Family Event. Face painting, Jumpers, Crafts and More. Jerry Ross Book Signing & Video. Silent Auction of Art by James Paul Brown. Come and meet these two local celebrities. Cake cutting at 3:30 p.m.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Copyright © 2006-2012